RI.gov R.I. Government Agencies | Privacy Policy |

Traffic Calming

Westerly Police Department - Neighborhood Traffic Calming - What is it? Traffic Calming is the practice of managing speeds and or volume of traffic in residential streets by using one or more of the following approaches.

Education - the process of making drivers aware of their speeds in relation to the neighborhoods they are in. Education alerts people to the ways they can help ease traffic problems. Such educational tools include surveys, community police meetings, canvassing of neighborhoods, deployment of speed signs as well as written and verbal warnings.

Enforcement - enlists the help of the police department to focus enforcement at the problem street(s) and increase community awareness of speeding problems.

Engineering - tools include a variety of traffic calming devices that can reduce speed, decrease volumes, and or improve safety. These physical modifications are custom designed to meet each neighborhood's individual needs.

The Town of Westerly currently services 755 roadways local, state and private. Like many other communities in South County, Westerly is experiencing a growth in population as well as an increase in vehicular traffic due to industry and general passage. Most residents would agree that motor vehicle speed, volume, accidents and the safety of pedestrians are top quality of life issues in Westerly. By implementing the Traffic Calming program the Westerly Police Department intends to reduce vehicular speeds and promote safe and pleasant conditions for residents, motorists, bicyclists, and pedestrians alike.

Traffic Calming in my neighborhood, how do I apply?

It all starts with the police department. If you believe motorists routinely drive too fast in your neighborhood, call the police department at 401-348-6168.

Requests must include the following information: Name, Address, Phone Number and a description of the traffic problem.

Your request will alert police officers to speeding problems and will bring extra patrols to the spot. A police officer will visit the spot at least three times for streets with significant problems.

If the problem continues, you may request a Traffic Study

To initiate a Traffic Study of the street a formal request is required in the form of a neighborhood petition by the residents of the street.

At least 1/3 of the residents must sign the petition.

The Westerly Police Department will send a traffic officer to the problem location to evaluate the potential traffic problems.